Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Success!

Finally, after a couple of weeks of reading and false starts, I have managed to get my hands on the GNU OS.
At first I tried using the prepared CD images, which I was lead to believe by the documentation I was reading that this was the easiest route for beginners. I didn't get very far with this method at all. I would get to the first reboot into Grub, and it would give me a file not found error.

Next I tried the cross install method, which is the main route documented on the Debian GNU/Hurd page. I got a bit further with this method. I actually got to the point where GNU was doing its first boot, but I would get a IRQ problem with my network card. I tried a couple of ways to work around this, but I realised that this would probably mean I wouldn't be able to get the network configured on GNU so I looked for a third route.

The method which finally worked was to download a prepared QEMU image and run GNU from QEMU. The image I used can be found here. It was very easy to get going, I just copied the two short shell commands and I was on my way. Once this was done I then simply followed the normal instructions from the Debian page. This mainly consists of running ./native-install until you are presented with GNU's shell.

Now I'm up and running it's time to do some exploring. I will report back soon with my first impressions.

5 comments:

Mahesh Aravind said...

Congratulations on getting the GNU OS to work.

Did you manage to get X running?

Adam Cheasley said...

Thanks :-)
I didn't manage to X working unfortunately but I will give it a go this week. I have been mainly focusing on trying to get the network set up, which I was finding quite confusing. I think I've taken for granted how much Linux actually does for you on the networking side.

Unknown said...

Great article on GNU/Hurd.

I have been tracking the Debian GNU/Hurd list and some of the developers have managed to run essential X11 programs, such as XPDF. They compiled it themselves ofcourse.

But again, thanks for posting this in your blog.

jinsbond007 said...

hi

I think the following link will help you a little more!!!!

http://kiranvirus.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/hello-world/

Adam Cheasley said...

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll give that a go.