Friday, January 11, 2008

First try

Last night I sat down (with some caffeine and print outs) and had my first proper attempt at installing GNU. I've been reading as much documentation as I could find over the past week or so and I was led to believe that using the prepared CD images might be a better option for a beginner. After trying this though I'm not so sure that is true. The partitioning and installing of the base system seemed to go smoothly, but when I rebooted with the Grub CD nothing would boot from the Grub menu. I'm now going to try the main cross install method as outlined on the debian site.
I've also decided that I will write an absolute beginners guide to installing GNU once I have achieved it myself. A document that assumes a very minimal knowledge of a Unix like operating system.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember installing Debian GNU/Hurd awhile ago from the K14 CD and a GRUB floppy, K16 must have only been released a short time ago. I seem to remember it involved a lot of typing, too...

Some people have set up a system and distributed a disk image so that you can run it in an emulated Qemu instance, you might want to give that a try. I can't remember exactly where I found the image, but you might want to try out the Hurd wiki (http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/) as a starting place...

Good luck with it, it's nice to see people interested in the Hurd!

-Itch.

Adam Cheasley said...

Thanks for your comment itchy. I think that's what I will try, running GNU as a virtual machine. I've tried the cross install method now and that has had problems too which I will write up soon.
I will not give up though. I will get it running damn it!